Academic Advising Checklist
Preparing for Your First Academic Advising Session
Prepare to see your faculty advisor by following the procedure below. This will help you and your advisor to have a productive advisement conference.
Gather relevant decision-making information
- Read the AMSC Catalog
- Visit web sites of potential transfer institutions for catalog information
- Define your career goals and select your Course of Study
- Obtain a copy of class schedule from admissions
- Check with Financial Aid if you expect to receive grants, loans, and/ or scholarships. You must re-apply for financial aid each new school year.
Familiarize yourself with policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Make an appointment with Academic Advisement for general questions
- Familiarize yourself with the Semester Core Curriculum (areas A-F in catalog)
Make an appointment with your academic advisor prior to the early registration or regular registration dates.
Prepare for your meeting with your Academic Advisor
- Use a degree plan worksheet
- Choose alternative course selections in case times or courses are not available when you register
- Write down specific questions
- Bring all necessary materials (list of courses, tentative schedule, pen, paper)
- Be on time
Follow through on any referrals suggested by your academic advisor.