Atlanta Metropolitan State College


Helpful Hints

  • Apply for financial aid as early as possible but not before January 1st. It is recommended that you use the appropriate year's tax return and other financial documents to complete the FAFSA. Doing so will reduce errors and the delay of your financial aid award.
  • Make sure you apply for financial aid by the established deadlines.
  • Remember that the fall semester always starts a new financial aid year and therefore you will need to reapply for financial aid.
  • Keep copies of tax returns and other financial information used to complete the FAFSA.
  • Read the FAFSA or Renewal form instructions first to determine what documents you need to complete the form.
  • If applying online be sure to either print off the signature page, sign and mail it immediately to the address given or sign the application by using your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
  • Once your FAFSA is processed you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). When you receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) either by email or in the mail, read the comments. Keep the SAR for your records. Atlanta Metropolitan College will receive this same information electronically if you listed the school code on the FAFSA.
  • If corrections need to be made to the SAR please make the corrections and bring the SAR to the Financial Aid so that the corrections can be made electronically. Also please make a copy of tax returns and other financial documents and submit them to the Financial Aid Office with the SAR.
  • After submitting your FAFSA please check to make sure that the Financial Aid Office received your SAR electronically.
  • If you are a new student to Atlanta Metropolitan College check with the Admissions Office to make sure they have received all of the required documents needed from you to be officially accepted to the college.
  • Student loan applicants must complete a FAFSA and have a completed Financial aid file before they can apply for a Stafford Loan. The student must also complete a separate loan application.