Atlanta Metropolitan State College
Featured Program - Prior Learning Assessment
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a process through which students
(1) Identify areas of relevant learning from their past experiences,
(2) Demonstrate that learning through testing, portfolio assessment, and credit recommendation from nationally recognized organizations, and
(3) Receive academic credit based on acceptable evaluation.
Learn more by reviewing the following information. Click on the"Discover Your Goal"
image below to explore more opportunities.
Atlanta Metropolitan State College faculty are invested in the timely progression and graduation of adult learners. Faculty representatives from each of the four Divisions – Science, Math, and Health Professions (SMHP), Humanities and Fine Arts (HFA), Business and Computer Science (BCS), and Social Science (SS) - are certified PLA Counselors, having successfully completed PLA: A Guide for Faculty course offered by Kennesaw State University and sponsored by the Adult Learning Consortium.
In addition, three of our faculty members are certified Prior Learning Assessors, and have earned a Certificate of Mastery in Prior Learning Assessment offered by De Paul University in conjunction with the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL). Contact the PLA Counselor in your division and they will be happy to guide you through the Prior Learning Assessment process at AMSC.
1. Dr. Babs Onabanjo (BCS) (Master Counselor)
2. Dr. Vance Gray (SS)
3. Dr. Harry Akoh (SS)
4. Dr. Robert Wilkes (SS)
5. Ms. Gyuheui Choi (SMHP) (Master Counselor)
6. Dr. Mulugeta Markos (SMHP)
7. Dr. Vasanta Chivukula (SMHP)
8. Dr. Candice Flowe (SMHP)
9. Dr. Kokila Ravi (AA) (Master Counselor)
10. Dr. Christian Kim (HFA)
For more information, kindly contact:
Dr. Kokila Ravi
PLA Director and Assistant Vice President Academic Affairs
L-215 Office of Academic Affairs
Phone: 678-623-1269 | Fax: 404-756-4685
PLA Assistant Director and Assoicate Professor of Mathematics
Sharon R. Duhart
Interim Director for the Center for First-Year Experience & Academic Advising
Program Director for the African American Male Initiative (AAMI) & Instructor
Phone: 404-756-4784 | Fax: 404-756-5613