Atlanta Metropolitan State College
Academic Advising Checklist
Preparing for Your First Academic Advisement Session
Prepare to see your faculty advisor by following the procedure below. This will help you and your advisor to have a productive advisement conference.
Gather relevant decision-making information
- Read the AMSC Catalog
- Visit web sites of potential transfer institutions for catalog information
- Define your career goals and select your Course of Study
- Obtain a copy of class schedule from admissions
- Check with Financial Aid if you expect to receive grants, loans, and/ or scholarships. You must re-apply for financial aid each new school year.
Familiarize yourself with policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Make an appointment with Academic Advisement Coordinator for general questions
- Familiarize yourself with the Semester Core Curriculum (areas A-F in catalog)
- Make an appointment with your advisor prior to the early registration or regular registration dates.
Prepare for your meeting with your advisor
- Use a degree plan worksheet
- Choose alternative course selections in case times or courses are not available when you register
- Write down specific questions
- Bring all necessary materials (list of courses, tentative schedule, pen, paper)
- Be on time
- Follow through on any referrals suggested by your advisor.