Atlanta Metropolitan State College
The Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) Program is an academic enrichment program that provides community college math, engineering, and science majors support to assist them in excelling academically and transfer to four-year institutions to complete their degrees in science, math, and engineering fields.
Features of the MESA Program
The Main Components of the MESA Program are:
- Academic Excellence Workshops. Students are scheduled in the same core math and science classes and taught how to maintain high academic outcomes through group study.
- Orientation course. The class teaches college survival skills to incoming students majoring in math, engineering and science.
- Assistance in the transfer process. MESA offers workshops on applications and counseling and field trips to universities.
- Career advising. Students are exposed to different math, engineering and science career options through industry mentors, field trips, job shadowing, career fairs and internship opportunities.
- Links with student and professional organizations. These resources provide mentors, guest speakers and tours of companies.
- Student Study Center. This dedicated multipurpose space is used for study, workshops and information sharing.
- Professional development workshops. Students participate in mock job fairs, learn resume preparation and interview skills and how to find part-time, full-time and summer employment.
- Industry Advisory Board. Corporate representatives, including many MESA alumni, participate on the board and provide scholarships, strategic planning, special summer internships, field trips and other resources. The board serves as a valuable connection between students and companies who need technical professionals.
Dr. Vasanta Chivukula, MESA PI and Assistant Professor of Biology
Mr. Brian Mitchell, MESA Co-PI and Associate Professor of Biology
Mr. James Sanders, MESA Director