Atlanta Metropolitan State College
Proof of Lawful Presence
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia now requires all applicants to USG institutions to provide proof of Lawful Presence in the United States in order to be classified as In-State for tuition purposes. This change is effective immediately for all applicants for Fall Semester 2011, and subsequent semesters.
BOR Policy 4.3.4 “Each University System Institution shall verify the lawful presence in the United States of every successfully admitted person applying for resident tuition status (in-state tuition).
Students can be admitted without providing this information, however students MUST provide lawful presence in the United States in ONE or more of the following ways before being classified as an In-State student:
- A current Driver’s License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- A Certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- Verification results provided by the US Department of Education for students applying for federal student aid (FAFSA).
- A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
- A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
- A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350 or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
- A current U.S. Passport.
- A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- A current military ID (service member only, not dependent).
- A current Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551).
- Verification of visa status through the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Student and Exchange Information System (SEVIS) for students on an F.J, or M visa.